When we start our studies, we all must do our homework. It’s challenging, but it’s the necessary element to demonstrate we have the knowledge and know how to use and summarise it correctly. Let’s define the assignment meaning for better understanding. It’s a task given to students by their teachers or professors, allowing them to show what they’ve learned and how well they can implement this knowledge.
What do we mean by assignment on a deeper level? Without a doubt, it’s a key to success and a bright future. If students wish to get into a prestigious college, they should do assignments on the highest quality level. Are you thinking about employment at Lloyds Bank? Of course, it might seem far-fetched right now. Still, each grade contributes to overall success. That’s why submitting quality assignments is so crucial.
Purpose of Assignment
We have provided the assignment definition, and it’s time to understand its specifics and purpose. Why do students complete assignments? Such tasks help in the consolidation of received knowledge. It’s great when one listens to the professor in class and remembers major facts. Still, soon enough, it’s likely that only some basic info will stay in memory. You can avoid it only by gaining a practical understanding of a topic. And there is no better way to do it than research the subject on a deeper level when completing an assignment. For example, everyone has listened to historical accounts of the condition of during the Second World War. Soon, many relevant details will fade. But if you research this topic when writing an essay, everything will stay in your memory for years to come.
Completing assignments also stimulates critical thinking. During lessons, a student is mostly an observer or, at best, a careful participant. When doing a project at home, though, there are numerous resources at one’s disposal. To get advice and handy tips, you may seek some online assignment help. Research all possible sources before coming up with ideas that you’d like to explore or defend if a topic has already been given. In assignments, which are often essays, you try to present your vision of a particular topic, and in doing so, you should be persuasive and show your research skills. They’ll be essential for all your future endeavours.
Typical Assignment Structure
Before wondering how to write an assignment, you should realise everything it entails. There are usually five main aspects you’re bound to encounter when being given a task. Keep in mind that they are beneficial for successful assignment completion.
- Overview. Before giving an assignment, a professor undoubtedly discusses a task with students. What is assignment that should be done? What should be explored? Is it a group task or an individual one? Such details will be clarified at this stage.
- Description of the task. Next is defining the specific task you should write. The professor gives you a topic or presents a list of possible themes from which you may choose. So, the topic is provided, and the final goal of writing is explained.
- Additional materials. This usually includes a list of sources. In most cases, students should find some sources by themselves or use materials specifically assigned by the professor. This helps to learn to integrate different resources. Also, you might prepare other things, like a mini-presentation that will come with the assignment. It may improve your grade a bit. Even if no additional materials are required, clarify it with your teacher. Being over-prepared is always better than having nothing to show!
- Style tips. Every college and uni assignment must follow specific style requirements. First, there are rules of academic writing that should be followed. They include avoiding first and second-person pronouns, contractions, and staying formal. There are also many academic formatting styles, such as MLA, APA, Harvard, Chicago, etc. Usually, a professor is the one who chooses in which format an essay should be written. Check the template where formatting style samples are provided. Pay attention to the headings, title page, list of references, formatting style of titles, running heads, citations, and so on. Any mistake may lower your grade, so be attentive to academic and formatting styles.
- Technical details. This is the last important aspect of the assignment explaining how many pages should be written, what acceptable deviation from word count may be, when the final deadline is, and what the requirements are concerning the oldest sources that can be used (in most cases, only recent sources of the last
5-7years are allowed).
Read also: How to conclude your assignment?
Assignment-Related Terms You Should Know
What is an assignment in the sense of processes you’re likely to follow? Check crucial definitions below. They explain what most tasks usually entail:
- Analysing: considering an issue or concept from all perspectives, dividing it into parts, and providing factually based explanations for each one, establishing connections and outcomes in the process.
- Summarising: retelling what you have read or seen in your own words; picking only the most important aspects without paying attention to insignificant details.
- Evaluating: assessing from all sides before deciding whether it corresponds to specific criteria (for example, whether something’s effective, dangerous, promising, etc.).
- Describing: presenting an overview.
- Comparing: taking at least two objects and showing what differences and similarities they have.
- Research: studying the background, meaning, and implication of the subject matter by applying credible sources.
- Relating: establishing a connection between at least two different objects or concepts, showing how they are connected.
- Applying: bringing a particular idea or theory into use and relating it to some object, studying the latter through the prism of the former.
- Illustrating: proving a point by giving detailed examples.
- Tracing: exploring the history of events.
- Identifying: determining what object is causing and explaining why it is so.
- Commenting: providing your own opinion on something.
- Considering: pondering over a concept and presenting its analysis even if the idea isn’t something you believe in or enjoy.
- Defining: pointing out what some object means.
- Interpreting: providing an individual explanation for something that might differ from commonly accepted one, supporting your words textually.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
What is the assignment failure? All students are definitely worried about their grades because too much depends on them. If you wish to avoid it and achieve success, you should know everything that results in a failing grade. Check the major issues below.
- Paper from another class is reused. You might get similar tasks for different subjects but don’t let it tempt you. Assignment copying is detected instantly, and you’ll get a failing grade for both subjects.
- Plagiarism. If you borrow other people’s ideas or copy some sentences or passages directly without citing anything, consequences may be severe. You might even be expelled, so double-check if every idea that didn’t come from you is appropriately referenced.
- No format. At higher educational institutions, you can’t use paragraphs with no formatting. Unless you add a title page, running head, footnotes, etc., following the style specified in the instructions, your grade may be lowered considerably.
- No thesis. This is a common mistake among students. An idea is essential, so unless you devise it, your paper may be weak, lacking direction. Naturally, it’ll get a low grade.
- No structure. Remember that every assignment must have a proper structure, readable paragraphs, proper opening, and closing sentences, etc. Ideas must flow smoothly, with logical transitions built between them.
- Task requirements are not met. This is also a common issue. Ensure you understand instructions perfectly before you start working. Check samples if you have doubts or contact your professor.
Contact EduBirdie If You Want the Best Grade
Even when you are no longer wondering, “What is an assignment?” you may ask yourself how to complete it. When you need only the best grades or lack time or energy for quality work, you can always find help at EduBirdie. We provide all kinds of services, starting from statistics assignment help to more complex projects, such as HND assignment help. Our writers have all received higher education qualifications, which we verify thoroughly, and all of them are experienced professionals in their areas. Contact us and tell us what you want. We make sure to deliver a flawless assignment to you!