Writing argumentative research papers, participating in class discussions, taking part in college debates – all these seemingly different activities have one common thing: students should choose controversial topics for each of them. The ability to protect one’s point of view, as well as evaluate the pro and against arguments in a controversial situation, is a viable asset every student should gain while studying.
What is Controversy?
A simple explanation would sum things up by bringing up an issue or a theory that would lead to public disagreement. A good example would relate to religious wars, ethical conflicts, politics, or certain preferences where a person would have a different opinion. As a rule, dealing with the most controversial topics, you have to be careful as these will touch upon sensitive issues. While you may talk about religion or past conflicts that have taken place, always show due respect and make sure that you provide some evidence issued by both sides.
The most important is to choose your controversial topics carefully by focusing on something that you know well. Ask yourself controversial questions and see how these can be approached by starting a debate. Start by telling about what you think about an issue, quote other people, talk about the dangers or those ethical (moral) aspects that make you choose X over Y. You should explain why you are researching some controversial issue by focusing on both sides. For example, when you study politics, make sure to provide some background information about personalities that you analyse.
When you are dealing with a conflict, controversial opinions are important for finding a compromise. It should be one of your purposes as you write a controversial essay. As always, it’s essential to choose your topic correctly by narrowing things down as much as you can. For example, when you are dealing with gun control issues or medical marijuana, you should think about the field of your studies by approaching things professionally. If you have a personal point in what you explore, it’s better to avoid the topic as you may feel unbiased as you enter the discussion. Choose something that you can explore without a personal relationship and things will become easier.
Therefore, we’ve prepared a long topics list for you to train your skills while participating in interesting and entertaining activities.
Choosing Best Topics
There are several important aspects students should consider while choosing their controversial topics for discussion. Here are several questions we suggest you answer before deciding on your topic:
What is your purpose? – Your topic choice may differ depending on the particular purpose. For instance, if you plan to participate in a tournament in your high school or college debate club, it may be more sound to choose topics that are controversial, relevant, even funny. Participants, as well as the audience, would appreciate such choices, as they suggest interesting, entertaining pastimes. In argumentative paper writing though, students might choose really complex topics that require considerable research, especially if they have much time for pre-writing research.
Who is your audience? – Another aspect that requires clarification and consideration is an audience. Topics for high school students will definitely differ from topics for the advanced academic community. Similarly, the audience may influence particular motions. For instance, college students will discuss vaccination topic in a significantly different manner than university students studying medicine. Depending on your audience, you may choose to research different aspects of your chosen controversial topics.
Are you personally interested in this topic? – Avoid picking topics that don’t appeal to you. It is always better to participate in discussions and write papers that entertain you or provide insights you consider valuable. Under such circumstances, you are more likely to hold and share your own thoughts along with beliefs.
Can you find credible sources? – Either participating in a discussion or writing an argumentative research paper, students should look for strong evidence. Discussions based solely on personal opinions are often either tenuous or too narrow in scope. Source credibility matters a lot as credible sources present information based on research and empirical studies. By citing credible sources, students demonstrate their preparedness along with awareness about various aspects their chosen topic has.
There is a great variety of topics one may choose from. Therefore, students should narrow the scope of possible discussions by clarifying their purpose, audience, personal interests, and credible sources. By doing so, they will ensure the relevance of discussed information, turning discussions into entertaining activities that are interesting for participants along with the audience.
Controversial Topics List
We’ve prepared more topics among which students may choose those they find most appealing. They are united into categories to make a choice easier for you.
Controversial Debate Topics
- Mandatory vaccination benefits society in general and individuals in particular.
- Living in a surveillance society: can people choose between safety and privacy?
- There are still tensions between religion and society.
- Quality of education determines one’s future success in employment.
- Should schools introduce monetary bonuses for students with the highest scores?
- Do social media promote healthy lifestyles?
- Should students study social responsibility as a school subject?
- Is euthanasia a form of suicide? Is it appropriate to legalize it?
- Is obesity an individual or a social problem?
- Is it sound to legalize prostitution?
Controversial Speech Topics
- Citizens should be able to visit national museums for free.
- Experience of volunteering can benefit students in their future careers.
- People are responsible for preserving animals that are under extinction threat.
- People should not be allowed to live together before official marriage.
- The royal family can have more political power .
- Religious organizations should pay taxes.
- Forbidding commercial advertisements at schools.
- Every student should learn at least one foreign language while completing education.
- Developed countries are particularly responsible for protecting rare species and animals under threat of extinction.
- Impacts of stereotypes on cross-cultural communication.
Controversial Topics for Discussion
- Is optimism beneficial or harmful?
- How free-market affects national employees?
- Is it sound to make computer science a compulsory discipline?
- Do fairy tales help raise a good person?
- Making food producers stop adding sugar to their products.
- Should government invest more in railroads?
- What is more effective: further restriction by law or legalization of marijuana?
- Is Chinese healthcare better than healthcare?
- Is multiculturalism beneficial for or not?
- Under what circumstances it is possible to make the internet free for everyone?
Controversial Funny Topics
- Mars colonization can solve the issue of overpopulation on Earth.
- Men are smarter than women.
- Introverts can become more successful in business than extroverts.
- Should all people become vegetarians?
- Should human cloning be allowed?
- What is the best season of the year?
- Is it better to be popular and attractive than smart and intelligent?
- Bad decisions always bring valuable experience.
- Is laughter the best medicine?
- Texting is harmful for interpersonal communication.
Controversial Topics for Teens
- Movies are more entertaining than books.
- Should teachers use computer games for educational purposes?
- Do modern media support or limit people’s right to free speech nowadays?
- People’s moral values are influenced by their communities.
- Serving fast food at schools: pros and cons.
- How should juvenile offenders be treated?
- Do modern social media contribute to people’s socialization?
- What effects will the homework ban have on student learning?
- Are single-sex schools better than co-ed schools?
- Beauty pageants and their impacts on participants and audience.
Controversial Topics on Science
- Renewable energy sources are a viable substitution regarding fossil fuels.
- Genetically modified foods and their impact on human health.
- Is genetic engineering a blessing or a curse?
- Nowadays society can completely ban plastic bags.
- Stem cells applications in medicine: do benefits overweigh costs?
- Impact of robots in manufacturing on human employment opportunities.
- Technology is a connection point or a framework that enhances people’s social isolation?
- What is more important space exploration or ocean exploration?
- Can artificial intelligence represent any threat to humankind?
- Corporations keeping scientific discoveries as a secret: should they be allowed to do so?
Controversial Topics on Current Events
- Should people stop buying water and other beverages sold in plastic bottles?
- Is it appropriate for government to determine internet content to which citizens can have access?
- Punishing convicted terrorists with the death penalty: is it morally acceptable or not?
- What effects will a free trade area with European Union have on workers?
- Is it morally acceptable to use genetic engineering for producing three-person babies?
- Should gay families have the same rights as traditional families ?
- Can people reverse climate change?
- How developments in synthetic organ transplanting will change the future of healthcare?
- Can all nations all over the world abolish nuclear weapons altogether?
- Are developing nations primarily responsible for protecting animal species that are under threat?
Most Controversial Topics In 2022
Without a doubt, the majority of political topics that we have seen during the past decades have been replaced by the presence of Covid-19 and vaccinations, which has been a subject of numerous controversies coming both from the press and the journalists across the pond. Still, it has made it possible to determine the most controversial subjects that have already been popular in 2022. See some of the fresh controversial ideas to brainstorm:
- Will the end of the pandemic times ever take place or are we lost forever?
- Should there be special Covid-19 IDs that would provide people with greater access to basic needs?
- The role of the raine's conflict.
- How will remote education continue or should there be hybrid education?
- The labour crisis in agriculture: has Brexit ruined things?
- The teen suicide rates : how has remote education affected the rates?
- Religious education in the schools: pros and cons.
- Should politics topics be approached unbiased or through the lens of the national interests.
- Scandals in the Royal Family: should these events be ignored?
- Boris Johnson's personality: should entertainment still take place?
Don’t Know How to Start – Ask Professionals
Controversial speech topics often require students to conduct extensive research, use their critical thinking skills, and apply numerous persuasive speaking and writing tactics to make their arguments strong enough. While these activities undeniably transform into personal assets students can use in their future careers, they are time and energy-consuming.
If you want to gain all the benefits this kind of work brings without spending much time and effort, consider finding a professional who will do all the boring work for you. Writers from speech writing service will gladly review tons of credible sources, including academic articles, for you so that you could impress your professor with an excellent argument no matter how complex chosen controversial debate topics are.